In the 18th century, the French built a large fortress at Louisbourg on Cape Breton Island. The fortress was to protect the important cod fisheries that supplied much of France's need for fish. The fort was attacked by the British twice. The first time the fort was taken by New England colonists in 1745. It was returned to the French as part of the Treaty of Aix Chapelle that ended the War of Austrian Succession. On the second occasion at the outset of the Seven Years war, forces from Nova Scotia moved across bog and marsh to attack from the rear. This must have been an amazing feat of engineering. The British then destroyed the fortress. Later, Parks Canada worked to rebuild approximately one quarter of the military and civilian portions of the fort.
We spent nearly a full day at the fort. Our interpreter was amazingly knowledgeable and, importantly, did not speak down to the audience. So great to have a walking tour for those interested in the context of the events that built, shaped and destroyed the fort.